meta name="keywords" content="geneva international student information school business management university city switzerland" />
You are getting ready to study in a wonderful country and an amazing international city. Relax! Geneva offers top quality of life and welcomes nearly 150 nationalities. In addition, Geneva, city of peace, hosts 1,000 multinaltionals and hundreds of international organisations. The information below will help you prepare for your studies and your arrival in our beautiful city. Our team will be happy to help and answer your questions. > FAQ
We understand the importance of finding the right home for your stay in Geneva.
Swiss law requires Swiss and international students to be personally insured through an insurance company.
We suggest these insurances, which cover medical and hospital fees as well as medication under prescription.
Advisor Swiss Insurance SA *
International Students : see
Tel. +41 21 620 75 00
Tel. +41 58 523 00 40
Groupe Mutuel *
International students: see
Tel. +41 848 803 111
Tel. +41 21 525 50 40
Opening hours: M-F, 8:30-4:30
• Please note that companies are independant from IFM
• European students & AELE
Students do not need a visa to enter Switzerland but they need a residence permit to live in Switzerland.
(Processing time varies: 1.5 to 2 months)
• Other international students
If you are not a European Union passport holder, you need a student visa to come to Switzerland. Administrative procedures have to be dealt with by the Swiss Embassy or Consulate in your residing country. IFM may assist students with the procedure, within the canton of Geneva. (Processing time varies: up to 3 months) • Visa information • Visa application form
• Caution : Swiss authorities must have evidence that the student is enrolled at IFM, has paid the required tuition fees and provides evidence of their guarantor’s sufficient financial means. Please note that the letter of admissions does not give access to visas.
All international students must announce their arrival to the Office Cantonal de la Population et des Migrations within 14 days & ask for a residence permit. (IFM students get a B permit)
Website of the Cantonal Office of Population and Migrations: website
Address : Route de Chancy 88, 1213 Onex
Students have to prepare their file and bring it to the Cantonal Office of Population that includes all documents mentioned below.
1. Your passport and visa if needed
2. Your certificate of registration from IFM
3. 2 passport size photographs
4. A curriculum vitae
6. Financial responsibility form (in French only) and bank statement or proof of financial means.
7. Administration fees of approximately CHF 150.- to CHF 250.-
Non-European students have provided these documents for their visa application (except 1,3,7), however they should keep copies.
The average monthly budget (excluding tuition fees) is established for information only and may vary depending on the student.
• maintenance and food CHF 900.- to CHF 1'600
• insurance from CHF 90.- to CHF 300.-
• accommodation from CHF 900.- to CHF 2,200.-
• pocket money and miscellaneous from CHF 800.-
Attention: at the beginning of your arrival, several expenses are simultaneous. Ex: 1st rent + deposit, installation costs: crockery, bedding, small furniture, phone, internet...
• Additional administrative costs related to the international file are invoiced.
“Most of us come from different parts of the world, thousands of miles away, and you feel at home. The culture integration is so beautiful.”
“IFM is very unique in terms of the social and academic environment. Very few universities can provide the kind of memorable and successful experience that IFM offered me.”
“My experience allowed me to grow in an international environment and become more open-minded. The diversity of students in class allowed me to develop my team-working skills and facilitate exchange.”
“The international setting of IFM was certainly the major positive side for me. I am still in excellent contact with
some of my colleagues from all over the world, enlarging business opportunities with people I actually studied with.”
“Never was there a more international and multicultural institution with the opportunity to gain so much. Thank you for the memories.”
Head of Strategic Business, Konga Group, Nigeria
A testimonial from an IFM MBA graduate, Yvonne Enwerem, MBA alumna: “IFM encourages you to trust yourself. The people at IFM make you feel at home.”
The small urban gem at the gateway to the mountains boasts landscapes to take your breath away!
At IFM, the sharing of ideas and cultures (over 50 nationalities) helps students form lifelong bonds.
1. We offer international students a welcome session and personalised attention.
2. We organise a visit of the neighbourhood during week one of the term.
3. We have an amazing location in the center of an international city, which is top ranked for quality of life. > life in Geneva
4. Numerous student activities are organised during the academic year
The letter of admission does not allow you to obtain a visa or residence permit.
Please read the different steps below:
1. If you are accepted to the programme, we will send you an offer (conditional or unconditional admission letter) and your registration form.
2. If you wish to accept the offer, you must fill out the final registration form and send it back to us.
3. Pay the non-refundable registration and administrative fee as well as the advance tuition fees.
4. Then, we will send you the relevant visa support documentation and attestation of studies,
No. The IFM admissions team has extensive experience with applications from around the world and each application is carefully analysed, considering results from other schools, professional experience, age etc.
Deadlines: International students with a non-EU passport, complete applications must be received at least 4 months before the chosen intake.
Financing: International students must show evidence of sufficient financial means (letter and/ or bank statement from guarantor’s bank) to study.
Note: International students do not need to have a guarantor residing in Switzerland to be considered for admissions.
Only students with a valid European Union passport and a valid B permit can work partially (up to 15 hours/week) alongside their studies. Contact us for further info.
• International students must be enrolled as full-time, on-campus students to obtain a permit of residence.
• If you do not need a student visa or a permit of residence
Are the tuition fees different for international students?
• Tuition fees for international students are the same for local students.
• However, international students must pay the entire annual fees at least 60 days before the beginning of the year.
Does IFM offer financial aid or scholarships to international students?
• IFM is a private business school and may offer few partial scholarships only for international students.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.